How to say 45 irregular past tense verbs! (part 2)
Irregular past tense verbs are used all the time in English. Practise pronouncing these common irregular past tense verbs. And do our little exercise to help you learn them. [This is second part of a two-part series. The verbs in brackets are (in order): the main verb; the past tense; the past participle. Listen and complete the sentences.]
Download the PDF file for this lesson:
Read: PDF file
Download the free MP3 file for this lesson:
Listen: MP3 audio file
Or listen to the lesson online:
1. (let, let, let) They let us stay at their ___________.
2. (lie, lay, lain) I lay down on the ___________.
3. (light, lit, lit) They lit the ___________.
4. (lose, lost, lost) I lost all my money in the ___________.
5. (make, made, made) He made a delicious ___________.
6. (mean, meant, meant) I meant to fix the ___________ but I didn’t have time.
7. (meet, met, met) I met her at a ___________.
8. (pay, paid, paid) They paid us for the ___________.
9. (put, put, put) She put her bag on the ___________.
10. (read, read, read) I read the ___________ in just two days.
11. (ride, rode, ridden) She rode the ___________ across the field.
12. (ring, rang, rung) The ___________ rang about six times.
13. (run, ran, run) We ran ___________ because it was raining.
14. (say, said, said) She said she was in ___________.
15. (see, saw, seen) I saw the ___________ last night.
16. (sell, sold, sold) She sold the ___________.
17. (send, sent, sent) They sent the ___________ last week.
18. (shake, shook, shaken) I shook hands with the ___________.
19. (shine, shone, shone) The sun shone through the ___________.
20. (shoot, shot, shot) They shot at the enemy ___________.
21. (show, showed, shown) I showed her the ___________.
22. (shut, shut, shut) I shut the ___________.
23. (sing, sang, sung) We sang the ___________.
24. (sink, sank, sunk) The boat sank in the ___________.
25. (sit, sat, sat) I sat down on the ___________.
26. (sleep, slept, slept) She slept for about ___________ hours.
27. (smell, smelt, smelt*) The ___________ smelt good.
28. (speak, spoke, spoken) We spoke to them last ___________.
29. (spell, spelt, spelt*) I spelt the ___________ for him.
30. (spend, spent, spent) I spent all my ___________.
31. (spoil, spoilt, spoilt*) I spoilt the ___________ by putting too much salt in it.
32. (spread, spread, spread) He spread the ___________ on the toast.
33. (stand, stood, stood) I stood up when he walked into the ___________.
34. (steal, stole, stolen) They stole the ___________.
35. (stick, stuck, stuck) She stuck the ___________ on the wall.
36. (take, took, taken) I took a ___________ because it was late.
37. (teach, taught, taught) They taught us how to use the new ___________.
38. (tell, told, told) I told her the ___________.
39. (think, thought, thought) We thought about leaving ___________.
40. (throw, threw, thrown) They threw the ___________ away.
41. (understand, understood, understood) They understood the ___________.
42. (wake, woke, woken) I woke up at about ___________ am.
43. (wear, wore, worn) He wore some new ___________.
44. (win, won, won) She won the ___________.
45. (write, wrote, written) They wrote the ___________.
1. flat; 2. floor; 3. fire; 4. casino; 5. cake; 6. bike; 7. party; 8. work; 9. table; 10. book; 11. horse; 12. phone; 13. home; 14. Paris; 15. film: 16. car; 17. e-mail; 18. president; 19. window; 20. soldiers; 21. picture; 22. door; 23. song; 24. river; 25. armchair; 26. ten; 27. soup; 28. week; 29. word; 30. money; 31. food; 32. butter; 33. room; 34. jewels; 35. poster; 36. taxi; 37. system; 38. truth; 39. early; 40. rubbish; 41. lesson; 42. seven; 43. clothes; 44. game; 45. letter
Copyright © 2015 by Hot English Publishing
All rights reserved. This article, or any portion thereof, may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the publisher except for the use of brief quotations on the condition that the owner (Hot English) is mentioned and a link to the website is provided. For any enquiries regarding this article, or any other material produced by Hot English Publishing, please contact email@example.com www.learnhotenglish.com