How to say 45 irregular past tense verbs! (part I)
Irregular past tense verbs are used all the time in English. Practise pronouncing these common irregular past tense verbs. And do our little exercise to help you learn them. [This is part I of a two-part series. The verbs in brackets are (in order): the main verb; the past tense; the past participle. Listen and complete the sentences.]
Download the PDF file for this lesson:
Read: PDF file
Download the free MP3 file for this lesson:
Listen: MP3 audio file
Or listen to the lesson online:
1. (be, was/were, been) She was at ___________ last night.
2. (beat, beat, beaten) We beat them by ___________ points.
3. (become, became, become) She became a ___________ after graduating.
4. (begin, began, begun) The football match began at ___________ in the afternoon.
5. (bite, bit, bitten) The dog bit me on my ___________ leg.
6. (break, broke, broken) He broke the living room ___________.
7. (bring, brought, brought) We brought some ___________ for lunch.
8. (build, built, built) They built a house next to a ___________.
9. (burn, burnt, burnt*) The fire burnt all ___________.
10. (buy, bought, bought) He bought some food for ___________.
11. (catch, caught, caught) I caught a cold and couldn’t go to ___________.
12. (choose, chose, chosen) We chose the ___________ one because it was cheaper.
13. (come, came, come) They came back home late at ___________.
14. (cost, cost, cost) It cost more than ___________.
15. (cut, cut, cut) She cut her finger on the piece of ___________.
16. (dig, dug, dug) We dug a ___________.
17. (do, did, done) I did the washing up after ___________.
18. (draw, drew, drawn) They drew a picture of a ___________.
19. (dream, dreamt, dreamt*) I dreamt about a famous ___________ last night.
20. (drink, drank, drunk) She drank three bottles of ___________.
21. (drive, drove, driven) I drove home in the ___________.
22. (eat, ate, eaten) We ate in a lovely ___________ restaurant.
23. (fall, fell, fallen) They fell down in the ___________.
24. (feed, fed, fed) She fed the ___________ in the morning.
25. (feel, felt, felt) We felt good after the ___________.
26. (fight, fought, fought) They fought for control of the ___________.
27. (find, found, found) I found my shoes under the ___________.
28. (fly, flew, flown) She flew to Chicago last ___________.
29. (forget, forgot, forgotten) They forgot to bring the ___________.
30. (get, got, got*) We got a present for her ___________.
31. (give, gave, given) We gave her the money for the ___________.
32. (go, went, gone) They went to Brighton for the ___________.
33. (grow, grew, grown) He grew some plants in the ___________.
34. (hang, hung, hung*) He hung up ___________ the outside.
35. (have had had) We had a ___________ for lunch.
36. (hear, heard, heard) I heard the ___________ on the radio.
37. (hide, hid, hidden) She hid the present under the ___________.
38. (hit, hit, hit) I hit the ball with the ___________.
39. (hold, held, held) I held the ___________ with both hands.
40. (hurt, hurt, hurt) The ___________ hurt a bit.
41. (keep, kept, kept) We kept the ___________ under the bed.
42. (know, knew, known) I knew the answer to the ___________.
43. (learn, learnt, learnt*) She learnt how to use the computer ___________.
44. (leave, left, left) They left the ___________ at 9pm.
45. (lend, lent, lent) I lent her my ___________.
1. home; 2. sixteen; 3. lawyer; 4. four; 5. leg; 6. window; 7. sandwiches; 8. river; 9. night; 10. dinner; 11. work; 12. red; 13. night; 14. £100; 15. paper; 16. hole; 17. lunch; 18. house; 19. actor; 20. water; 21. rain; 22. Italian; 23. street; 24. cat; 25. walk; 26. city; 27. sofa; 28. Tuesday; 29. money; 30. birthday; 31. tickets; 32. weekend; 33. garden; 34. clothes; 35. salad; 36. song; 37. bed; 38. bat; 39. puppy; 40. injection; 41. money; 42. question; 43. program; 44. cinema; 45. bicycle
Copyright © 2015 by Hot English Publishing
All rights reserved. This article, or any portion thereof, may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the publisher except for the use of brief quotations on the condition that the owner (Hot English) is mentioned and a link to the website is provided. For any enquiries regarding this article, or any other material produced by Hot English Publishing, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org old.learnhotenglish.com